* Digital TV offers clearer pictures and fewer reception problems.
* Removes the constraint on the amount of content delivered under analogue transmission. (More Programmes per channel thus, audiences have a greater variety of programming to choose from)
* Opportunities of facilitate investment in high tech manufacturing sectors for set-top boxes.
* Offers Audiences access to value added services or multimedia content and also caters for supplementary and/or complementary data content. Therefore audiences would be able to access additional interactive services e.g TV guides, news and information, educational content and games, shopping and travel services and pay per view movies/documentaries/sport coverage. New services such as messaging, teleconference, programmable VCR, (PVR) profiles, advertising, web surfing, t-commerce, etc. These would become part of the wider data offerings giving users a greater opportunity to select video and data programming.
* Content enhancements for people with disabilities
* Easier access to regional broadcasts with stronger local content in terms of geographical and language distribution.
The Transition process in Nigeria is being driven by exiting broadcasters primarily the NTA. Already as it were the NTA-StarTimes joint venture operation is the pioneer DTT operation in Nigeria and it is the pay TV arm of the ITS.
Our customers will eventually comprise of:
* Free Viewers
* Pay TV and Internet Operators
* Gamers (Interactive TV)
* Content providers
* Advertisement service providers
And we will be managing customers’ data.
By Virtue of the recommendation of the PAC document , ITS is the designated Public Service Broadcaster (PSB). Public Broadcasting is defined as a meeting place where all citizens are welcome and considered equals. It is an information and education tool, accessible to all and meant for all, whatever their social or economic status. PSB’s mandate is not restricted to information and cultural development it must also appeal to the imagination, and entertain, doing so with concern for quality. Public broadcasting is so important that it has “probably been described as the greatest of the instruments of social democracy of the century”
Consequently, Public Service Broadcasting (PSB) has an important role to play in providing access to and participation in public life. PSB will be instrumental in promoting access to education and culture, developing knowledge, and fostering interactions among citizens. For the majority of the world population, comprising inhabitants of huge rural areas and illiterate people, radio and television remain the most available and widespread ICTs, as primary communication medium.
* ITS – Integrated Television Service
* PAC – Presidential Action Committee
* DTT – Digital Terrestrial Television
* CA – Conditional Access
* SMS – Smart Messaging Services
* PSB – Public Service Broadcaster
* OTT – Over the Top Television
* BSD – Broadcast Signal Distributor
* BCP – Broadcast Content Provider
* SLA – Service Level Agreement